Week 8 - Making beats and Remixing

 After today's class I have a new found respect for DJ's and anyone in that field. I can honestly admit I used to think they would just sit back and press a button much like cruise control, but how wrong I was. James walked us through how to mash up various songs on Ableton and cool techniques we can use along the way. What I love about Ableton is the readily available educational resources they have online for learning the intricate software. Link below:

https://learningmusic.ableton.com/make-beats/play-with-beats.html

With the interactive software I was able to make my own beat as if I was on the software. Here is the beat I made and me getting experimental with some syncopation.



Whats cool about this is that it was on a web browser and not software! Due to tech difficulties I worked with a partner in today's lesson as Ableton was not working on my laptop. My partner Julia imported and incorporated this beat I made in to a little class made remix. (Video in link below) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFA_KBWZY8o

James taught us how we can quantise meaning shift/move around the timing of the music stimuli to create a cool effect or simply just move the desired track in time. This is really cool as technology can now fix some human error making the recording process a lot faster.  James also showed us how you can create some really cool sounds simply by moving the phrasing on to the syncopated note values (a's, e's and +'s). 

Another cool thing we learned is how to use EQ to really clean up our projects whether its taking adding/removing high's, mid's and low's. This is really important as it helps achieve a really nice balance to the ear or can be used to create a certain desired effect such as getting a very filtered esc sound etc. I really loved today's class because learning like this is vital in the classroom as its an opportunity to have fun whilst diving in to music technology. I would love to create a music technology assessment where the kids gets to mash up 2/3 of their favourite songs. The creativity is endless!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10/11 - Classroom Technology

Week 3 - Jamming with the lecturer's

Week 13 - Reflection