Final Assignment Journal + Video Link

Anyone Can Improvise Video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g-KWWpf2Y3yhYgb4rFDDxmqa_-3_tH3D/view?usp=sharing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aim: To create a video in under five minutes that can teach people of all musical experiences and lack of how to musically improvise.  I would love improvisation to be taught like this within schools as I can see through my students that this process is a lot of fun and extremely fulfilling as musical results are instant. The process showed in the video is the perfect introduction to musical improving and also dips in to the world improvisational composition. I use this exact improvisation method with my guitar students during my lessons with the only difference is them playing the C major scale on the guitar.

Technology aspect of project: I used Premier Rush as the platform for the video I created. The possibilities within this great software are almost endless in terms of creation of classroom/educational resources. In week 5 the class and I we're extensively taught how to use this software. I wanted to further explore this software as I aspire to create educational content one day for my tutoring and the classroom. 

The link below is for the C major ambient pad track used in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CRbFSLms8U

Planning process: My planning process for this project was very spontaneous in terms of spoken dialogue/script as I didn't have any planned scripts for the video. All I had was a sticky note with a few key dot points stuck in eye line of the filming camera. I liked the idea of keeping this project spontaneous and from the heart. Getting my mum to partake in the video was a crazy idea I had on the spot and thought it would be cool as her instantly successful improvisation results proved the point my video was making. 

Although the script part of the video was funnily enough improvised the video's structure and content was carefully mapped out and preplanned. I work best with having the main points and ideas down and spontaneously working around them. 



Within saying I improvised the script, as a consequence every clip of me talking took many, many takes as I often had mental blanks mid talking and would stutter mid sentence as my brain did not know which idea to commit to speaking verbally. Next time for creating anything in this nature I should try using writing/using a script.

Reflection: I really enjoyed this project as it is the first public mark I can make with my attitudes/thoughts towards improvisation. Improvisation is a topic I am heavily passionate about and a topic I will forever be a student to. To improvise musically allows us to take a piece of theory and scale and use them as colours to paint a picture. Improvising is extremely personal as it an expression of our creativity through musical/education resources. These resources are scales, backing tracks, theory and our instruments. I really hope my video can at least send one personal home and have them 'dabble' around with the concepts I spoke about. Thank you for reading and watching my video.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10/11 - Classroom Technology

Week 3 - Jamming with the lecturer's

Week 13 - Reflection